Milestone Group Now Offers Tele-Counseling
August 22, 2018
- Amid the current national opioid epidemic, and the rising rate of suicide—particularly among middle-aged Americans, the need for effective counseling and psychotherapy services is greater than ever. But for many people, busy schedules, remote location, and even embarrassment keep them from walking into a therapist’s office.
- In response to this vital need, Milestone Group, LLC, a full-service counseling and psychotherapy practice based in downtown Atlantic Highlands, NJ, has launched its Tele-Counseling Initiative. This initiative will provide secure, HIPAA compliant, Internet-based counseling services to people who are unable or unwilling to seek services at a conventional therapy office.
- “These days there are increasing trends toward buying merchandise, ordering food, even getting expert medical advice online,” said James Genovese, LPC, LCADC, Milestone Group’s founder and clinician. “And so for many people, due to a host of reasons, online behavioral health services may be the best way to go.”
- Another benefit, said Mr. Genovese, is that via the online platform he can now serve clients who live anywhere in New Jersey, as well as legal residents of the state who might find themselves anywhere in the world, so long as they have access to a secure Internet connection.
- Online, or tele-counseling services are becoming more generally accepted within the behavioral health field. Many states have either enacted or are in the process of enacting guidelines and regulations governing tele-counseling. As it does with all of its services, Milestone Group adheres to best practices in providing this new online option to its clients. For example, the practice utilizes secure, HIPAA-compliant electronic health record, email, Internet and tele-conferencing platforms. And it only employs techniques and interventions that are supported by solid clinical research.
- Having an online counseling session may sound more technically daunting than it actually is. All a client needs are a desktop or laptop computer, speakers or a set of headphones, and a secure Internet connection. “A few of my clients have already had tele-counseling with me,” Mr. Genovese reported, “and they were surprised at how easy, convenient, and personally meaningful those sessions were.”
- Milestone Group, LLC serves individuals, couples and families, persons with addictions, active military members and Veterans, and First Responders. James Genovese is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC) who is also designated a National Certified Counselor (NCC).
- Specialties include mood and anxiety disorders, PTSD, addictions, marital and family issues, and general life struggles. Milestone Group accepts most major medical insurance as well as out-of-network benefits.